Monday 11 April 2011

Design Process - The use of the programs

This course has worked through the use of three key adobe programs: Indesign: Photoshop and Premier Elements 3. My skills in each program have developed since the beginning of the course, especially the print based programs and I now feel competent in using all three programs.

I have previously used the program Premier Elements 3 during my AS coursework and therefore had a basic understanding of how to operate the program before we began editing. However, throughout the course I have learnt a variety of new editing techniques which were helped along by my further knowledge in film e.g. the aesthetics of a finished piece. Some of the new skills I have learnt include speeding and slowing shots, an example of this is the tracking shot along the high street within the opening montage, which has been speed up (see right image). Within the montage in Charlotte’s bedroom, various shots have been slowed down to emphasise her emotional state, creating a tense atmosphere. Another technique I have learnt and used within the trailer is the manipulation of transitions, making them longer or shorter, allowing the continuity of the trailer to flow appropriately to the pace. The mock CCTV shots used within the trailer also demonstrate more advanced skills, the numbers run up accurately in seconds in the left corner and one shot uses a screen spilt into four (see left image). I learnt a lot about sound manipulation within the A2 coursework, something I had little experience with, I learnt as I worked trying and varying a range of sound editing techniques until finding one that did not disrupt the continuity of the trailer, and created the appropriate atmosphere. I hope that my improved skills will work in my advantage to make the trailer look professional and unique, therefore attracting a larger audience.

Photoshop was another program I had basic, knowledge on from previous use. Photoshop was the program that we used the least, using it mainly to isolate text from its background meaning it could be transported straight onto our poster or magazine cover. I also used Photoshop to change the colour of my text and create some of the shapes used within the magazine cover, such as the star puffs in the bottom left corner.  

Indesign was a program that prior to the course I had no experience in using. At first I found it really hard to operate, struggling to create the mock magazine covers I practised on. Once I began to work on our own magazine cover the basic became easy to use. Primarily my main confusion was the different layers you have to create and use, however through the use of trial and error I managed to improve my skills and actually found that the use of layers made using the program easier when trying to delete or move an object. Another advantage of using Indesign is the frames you use to paste in your picture, the circular frames allowed me to incorporate a circular theme on our magazine cover, connoting life and death – a theme linked with the main feature. The layers and frames allowed me to manipulate our main image so that it fit the visible frame at the bottom but was layered over the visible frame at the top (see left image). The program also allowed me to create a highlight and shadow around text, a technique I used to make the media appear more professional (see right image).

No comments:

Post a Comment